Thursday, December 11, 2008

The "C" Word


I'm sure a lot of you have your own ideas on what the "C" word is here. I happen to have a favorite four letter C word myself but no, thats not it. Ever since I have officially entered the Corporate world, I have honestly found some things about life to be quit depressing.
During the week all we want is for it to be Friday. We just wait for the weekend. Which of course is great; I love my weekends. But too many times I'm excited when it's Friday, and then before you know it its Sunday night. We all just wish and hope to fly through the week; every week. Which is fine when you're in the Coporate world because your weekend is your escape. But what the big picture is, is that our life is passing by. 16 months into my new life, I've been going through the motions of the Monday-Thurday work days, then happy when its Friday because the weekend has begun, and before I know it, I am facing Monday again.
Those days that turn into weeks, then months, then years, we never get back. We just wait for the day to be over, so we can hurry up and just get through the week. But I don't want just the weekends. I can't afford to actually live on that, I mean actually live. Ever since I entered the Corporate world I have really felt like I am wasting my life: wishing the weeks to be over. Monday through Thursday is all the same, I may as well be a robot. But I have to say, at least I like the industry I work in and and the people I work with. I don't think I would be able to make it if that was not the case. I don't get how some people work in a place where they don't like or relate to anyone. I mean 40 hours a week is a long time. Some people may actually spend more time at work than at home. How can you actually work somewhere where you can't even be yourself for 40 hours a week, with people you don't care for or even like? Now how depressing is that?
I know I am in the corporate 9-5 world watching Monday through Thursday's fly by me, but at least I enjoy the company and can actually be myself. But even so, I can't keep watching the days fly by me. Why can't every day be a weekend? How else do people make money and have insurance/benefits...the American dream. I have lost too many days/weeks/months/years wishing the day would be over, just to have the next one come and wish the same thing. And here I am, 25 years old already having my life crisis. I have to find a way to beat the system...there has to be another way to actually LIVE!
There are a few people I have come across in my life who have abandonded the Corprate way of life, and don't have the responsibility of a job. And I envy them. I envy their freedom. Their ability to live in every moment, and actually live everyday. I'm sure they have their own struggles when it comes to money because you can say money isn't everything...but I'd like to see you live without it. The Book, Into the Wild, (also now a movie) tells the true story of someone who abandoned the Corprate way of life and set off to live off of the land in Alaska. Watching his experiences while on his journey really made me think about my life and as corny as it sounds, really inspired me to look at what I want out of life. But for now, until I beat the system and learn how to be able to live without a steady income and benefits, I'll be getting up to go to work Monday-Friday, stay in the Corporate world and live the American dream.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad your part of my corporate world! Let me know if you find a way out!

    ReplyDelete